Study in the Yucatan Peninsula
Your home base is Mérida – a beautiful, historic, colonial city centrally located on the Yucatán Peninsula and just 20 minutes from the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico. In less than a two-hour drive one can discover biodiverse nature reserves, UNESCO archaeological sites, and historic towns where you lunch alongside locals while working on your Spanish language proficiency. Researchers and students are in good company, as Mérida hosts more than a dozen universities and several national research facilities.
Build Your Summer Adventure
Select one or two six-week blocks at any CIEE Open Campus Block location. Stay in Yucatan for both blocks or go mobile and spend your second block in Berlin, Buenos Aires, Cape Town, Copenhagen, Dublin, Kyoto, London, Madrid, Monteverde, Paris, Rome, Santiago, Shanghai, Singapore, or Sydney.
CELESTÚN NATIONAL PARK
is home to mangroves and thousands of pink flamingos that flock there during the winter months
VISIT CHICHEN ITZA
to marvel at the centerpiece of Mayan civilization and the astronomical precision of El Castillo’s design
VISIT GRAN MUSEO DEL MUNDO MAYA
Mérida’s most important and world-class museum, which explores Yucatán’s past from its geological origin to the present day
Excursions & Activities
Excursions and activities may include:
- Exploring the ruins of Chichén Itzá – perhaps the most famous pre-Columbian site built by the Maya and one of the Seven Wonders of the World!
- Touring the world-class science facilities of the Scientific and Technology Park of Yucatán, home to seed banks, botanical gardens, and more.
- Visiting one of the most beautiful underground cenotes along the Chicxulub Crater's ring.
- Taking a boat ride over pink waters at Ria Celestun, a biosphere reserve where you can explore mangroves, look for crocodiles, and visit enormous concentrations of flamingos!
Volunteering. There are volunteer opportunities at local institutions, like the Centro de Investigación Científica de Yucatán (CICY).
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Orientation – an introduction to Mexican culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host country and city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|